Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Artist Statement Abstract Painting 2006-07

I am naked in front of nature.
I don’t try to understand what is around me.
I absorb what it is and I observe the metropolitan atmosphere to feel emotions of the air.
My physical body is invisible in front of a blank canvas.
My energy flows onto the canvas with full of intuition.

The layers of transparent colors are symbolic of the layers of emotion that is caused by the momentary impulse. These layers are followed by layers of meaning derived from the dialogue between myself and my painting, which takes place during the physical process.
I start to paint with the emotion that I absorb outside of studio. However, the more I paint, the more I react from the painting. I find surprises and pleasures in intimate relationship between me and my painting.

Written by Minjung Kang

No comments: